[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Welcome to netastrocatalog-digest

--

    unsubscribe netastrocatalog-digest

or from another account, besides netastrocatalog-announce@jovian.com:

list itself) send email to <owner-netastrocatalog-digest@jovian.com> .
to contact a human.

 Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,
 in case you don't already have it:

This is the mailing list to subscribe to for DIGEST versions of
the submissions to the Internet Amateur Astromomers' Catalog. A
digest list produces one or more emails per day, containing all
of that day's submissions to the main mailing list (in this case,
the netastrocatalog list). The digest version is a convenience
for subscribers who do not wish to be inundated with individual
messages flooding into the main list, but nonetheless  wish to
read each of those messages at their leisure.

Thanks for your interest, and don't forget: we're looking forward
to receiving YOUR submissions to the catalog!

The email mailing list 'netastrocatalog' is primarily intended as a
target address for amateur astronomers at all levels to email their
observations to the newly established Internet Amateur Astronomers'
Catalog (the IAAC or netastrocatalog, for short).

This IAAC Catalog was established by Bernhard Rems, based on some
discussions in the Usenet newsgroup sci.astro.amateur in May 1996.
The catalog encompasses submissions from observers at all levels,
with instruments ranging from the naked eye to the largest amateur
observing instruments! It is designed as an internet resource for
other observers, to compare and contrast their observations with
those made using similar equipment at similar sites around the world!
If you'd like to submit your OWN observation of any astronomical
object, please just cut and paste the email form shown below into an
email message, fill it out with your observation, and mail it to the
email address of the IAAC: "netastrocatalog@jovian.com".

Or, if you use one of the wonderful observation planning and logging
applications that are available, such as dObjects or DeepSky 2000.0,
you may simply be able to submit your observations to the IAAC via a
menu item in your application. Ask your support contact about this!

Once you submit your observations to the netastrocatalog, they will
appear on the Internet along with countless other amateurs' efforts,
within a week or so. In addition, all 'netastrocatalog' subscribers
will see your submission immediately!  The Web site is available at:
  http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/maillist.html

Last but not least, if you submit your logs to any of the deep-sky
observing societies, then you may simply be able to "Cc:" your posts
to 'netastrocatalog' to these groups as well! The Webb Society for
instance, has indicated that our format is acceptable to them.

NOTE: In addition to the main 'netastrocatalog' list (which is only
intended for observations by amateur astronomers), there is also a
mailing list for DISCUSSIONS and ANNOUNCEMENTS relating to the IAAC,
called netastrocatalog-announce. By subscribing to either of these two
lists, you are actually automatically subscribing to BOTH. Similarly,
unsubscribing from either automatically unsubscribes you from both.

******* Here is the original IAAC message from Bernhard Rems *********

Hi to all!

I invite you to contribute to an interesting project. We are
gathering observation reports from amateur astronomers around the
world to compile the "Internet Amateur Astronomer's Catalogue".

What is it for? Most objects look different with different apertures,
under different circumstances, and for different observers. This
compilation should give newcomers and skilled observers a possibility
to compare their observations with those of others. For this reason,
some folks here on s.a.a. have designed a standard entry form to let
you submit your observations. We will gather all input and prepare a
list for you to download, where you can find your observation together
with those of fellow skygazers.

The list will be arranged by constellation and within that by right
ascension.  It will be put on an ftp-server for download and updated
twice a month (we will keep you informed on where you can find it) -
as soon as there are enough reports to do so (hint, hint!). Maybe
these reports will be on a website in the near future.

Following you will find instructions on how to report observation:

1) Cut out the standad entry form below.
2) Fill in everything that is needed.
3) Send it to: netastrocatalog@jovian.com, subject: IAAC submission

We would like you to let us know about deep sky objects and double
stars you observed.

These are the facts we ask you to state. Put as many of them as you feel
comfortable adding: the important part is your instrument, the object's
name, and WHAT YOU SAW! Also, be sure to mention the object name and your
observing instrument in the "Subject:" line of your email...

Observer: (Your name goes in here)
Your skill: (Choose one: beginner, intermediate, expert)
Date and UT of observation: (1996-May-20/21, 23:55 UT)
Location & latitude: (for example: Vienna, Austria, 47N)
Site classification: (choose: city, suburbian, rural)
Limiting magnitude (visual): (Very important! Give your best guess)
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): (1 is best - 5 is like looking over a chimney)
Moon up (phase?): (yes/no, age or phase of the moon if yes)
Instrument: (for example: 8" SCT f/10, naked eye, 7x50, etc.)
Magnification: (for example: 35x, none for naked eye, etc.)
Filters used: (for example: none, UHC, LPR, OIII, Hbeta)
Object: (what you saw, including catalog number(s) and/or common names)
Category: (for example: open cluster, double star, galaxy, etc.)
Constellation: (For example: Leo)
Object data: (mag and size in ' or "; or mags and sep./PA for double stars)
RA/DE: (position - please use 2000.0)

Feel free to use your own yardsticks for seeing and sky darkness: using the
seeing scale of 0-10, sky "transparency" scales of 1-5 or 0-10, sky brightness
in magnitudes/arcsec^2, etc. are all just as good as our 1-5 seeing and visual
limiting magnitude. Just be sure to note which one you're using!

Here is a standard entry form you can use: