[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 6826 - Inst: Meade LX10 8" SCT

Lew,

I'm especially amazed that I could see this considering it was hazy and
I didn't use a nebula filter even though I probably should have. The
only aid I used was a dew cap to block out the glare from a brightly lit
train station.

I found a great way to find out just how much you can see in the city. I
have the Meade Magellan digital setting circles. It will take you on a
tour of the sky after setting the parameters for what you want to see.
You set the type of objects you want to see and other information like
magnitude, size, quality of the object, etc. The Magellan tells me there
are literally hundreds of objects in easy reach of an 8" SCT.

So, I don't feel at all bad about observing from an urban site. All you
need is some help like digital setting circles to find objects.

Harold Williams

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Harold, it's amazing what can be seen from suburban and even urban backyards!
> I've done a few observations of bright planetaries from Medford MA (probably
> just slightly better than your urban backyard). It's both a challenge and a
> thrill, and if SEEING is decent (also a rarity in the city, but can happen!),
> then you can actually log some pretty interesting details with a filter in
> these high surface-brightness OIII objects... Keep up the great logs!
>
> PS: For an extreme example of urban observing, check out this observation of
> the Eskimo nebula with an AstroScan from Medford!
>
>     http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/msg00203.html
>
> Clear skies,
> Lew Gramer
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

Follow-Ups: References: