[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: E3 - Inst: 20" f5 Dobsonian

Lew Gramer wrote:

> These were some very interesting deep Southern observations, Andrew.
> Thank you! BTW, as the list Archive maintainer, I had some questions
> regarding the catalog designations you used for the two globulars...
> (I already modified your archived log for "The Homunculus" to add on
> "(NGC 3372, Eta Car)" inside the Subject line. ;>)
>
> Regarding your "ESO452sc11", is this in fact the same object ID as
> "ESO452-011"? Or does "sc" designate some ESO addendum catalog??
> As for "E3", I don't believe it has any other designations, does
> it? And how many other globulars are there in this ESO gc catalog?
>
> I ask these questions as I would like to be sure your observations
> can be easily found by the Object Search feature of IAAC in future:
> so I need to be sure these catalogs are included in the Search form!
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Lew Gramer
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

  Thank you Lew.
To help clear up the designations that I have used. ESO452sc11 is
ESO452-011. The designation
sc stands for star cluster. The original ESO B list gave these
designations to all objects. g=galaxy
sc=star cluster, pn=planetary nebulae, en=emision nebulae, snr=supernova
remenant. I have copies of the original
Astrophysical journal letters that published the list and so I follow
these designations.
As for E3 there is no other designation that I know of. I have a number
of other unusual object observations that
I will send when I can. A number of these will be ESO objects. I find
that by saying would anyonelike to look at
ESO bla bla or someother string of letters people tend to stay away from
my lader, as the observing site of Ilford
is owned by the Astronomical Society of NSW. A new moon weekend will
attract 25-30 people. It is located about
250km northwest of Sydney on the other side of the coastal mountain
ranges and has a fantastic DARK sky.
 Andrew Murrell