[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Re]Re: (IAAC) Obj: The Homunculus - Inst: 20

Thanks. You say that you have made a 6" scope of your own. That is more
amazing to me than
observing with a 20" scope. I dont have the patience to do  that. What
type of objects do you like to
observe. You said that the sky is dark in South Korea. You must be able
to see Eta Car from where
you are so why not describe what you see.
Clear Skies
Andrew Murrell

¾ç¼ºÀº wrote:

> >Andrew Murrell schrieb:
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Observer: Andrew Murrell
> >> Your skills: Advanced (many years)
> >> Date/time of observation:
> >> Location of site: Ilford NSW Australia (Lat , Elev )
> >> Site classification: Rural
> >> Sky darkness: 6.5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
> >> Seeing: 8-9.5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
> >> Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
> >> Instrument: 20" f5 Dobsonian
> >> Magnification: 160-700
> >> Filter(s): none
> >> Object(s): The Homunculus
> >> Category: Planetary nebula. Emission nebula.
> >> Class: stellar ejecta
> >> Constellation: carina
> >> Data: mag 6.5 size 30"
> >> Position: RA 10:45.1 DEC -59:41
> >> The Homunculus is the small nebulae that surrounds Eta Carina. It
> is the
> >> envelope
> >> of stellar material that was ejected from the star about a century
> ago. This
> >> is the
> >> only nebulae that shows an obvious colour, Bright orange. This
> colour is very
> >> striking against the star background. The initial observation was
> at 160x.
> >> This shows
> >> the surrounding keyhole nebulae NGC3372, which defies description.
> The
> >> Homunculus
> >> appears as a peanut shaped orange blob about 30" across. At 300x it
> appears
> >> as a bright
> >> hazy star with a lobe or bubble of material on either side,
> orietated SW-NE.
> >> The lobe
> >> to the SW is the brightest, and appears granular with a dark lane
> running
> >> throughthe
> >> middle which curls to the southat the end. The NE lobe is fainter
> and shows
> >> no internal detail
> >> The center star is about 6.5 magnitude and has a jet progecting to
> the north
> >> about 5" long.
> >> Averted vision at this power intensifies the colour and shows a
> bright knot
> >> 5" WSW of the star
> >> in the SW lobe. By increasing the magnifaction to 720x even more
> detail was
> >> glimpsed. In moments
> >> of perfect seeing the granulation in the NE lobe became apparent.
> The bright
> >> knot became visible
> >> with direct vision,and the colour remained. The dark lane seen
> before in the
> >> SW lobe lost some of
> >> its structure, looking more difuse and ending in a small dark hole
> positioned
> >> about 5" from the southern
> >> edge of the nebulae. The higher magnifaction increased the
> contrast. The edge
> >> of the nebulae remained
> [...]

Follow-Ups: References: