From: Maryann Arrien <marrien@computer.net>
To: Kurth Bemis <kurth@turbonet.net>, Leo Rousseau <yoga@net1plus.com>,
To: Mike Stebbins <nhas@compuserve.com>,
To: Thomas Williams <trw@rice.edu>,
To: NH Astronomical Society <nhas@newww.com>,
To: Gilbert Violette <gilbert.j.violette@worldnet.att.net>,
To: Leif Robinson <lrobinson@skypub.com>,
    Thomas Scordato <TSCORDA@alleghenypower.com>,
    Mark Jaworsky <mjaworsky@celgene.com>,
    Edwin L Aguirre <eaguirre@skypub.com>
Subject: FW: Prison Vote has taken place
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:11:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Crisis At Stellafane:
News Update: Tuesday June 29, 1999

The final vote is in. The Town of Springfield has voted to accept the State
contract to build the largest State Prison in Vermont in the neighborhood
of 4 miles from Stellafane Observatory, a National Historic Landmark.

The final Town vote was:
1633 FOR
1564 AGAINST

There has been no response from Vermont Governor Howard Dean to my two
faxes last week containing petition comments or the FedEx package I sent
yesterday containing a compilation of the first 1000 replies to the
Petition.

Contained in these mail and fax communications was information from many
scientists warning that this proximity to Stellafane was too close to
attain sufficient abatement of the light pollution that will result.

Perhaps this was not sufficiently convincing.  If you have any further
information or data on this subject, please advise me here on the web page.
We could use the information. For complex information please remember to
send a way to contact you by phone as well.

It is a sad day for astronomers all over the world.
I feel that this is a national tragedy.

Maryann Arrien
President
Springfield Telescope Makers
Stellafane
marrien@computer.net
http://www.stellafane.com
+++++
>From the secretary:
We may have lost this battle, but the war is not over.  We are working on a
strategy to keep up the fight.  We are keeping the petition going as a
means to strengthen our arguments.  There will be more to follow.

Wayne "Waynbo" Zuhl
Secretary, Springfield Telescope Makers
www.stellafane.com
STM-Secretary@home.com