------- Forwarded Message

From: "Scordato, Thomas" <TSCORDA@alleghenypower.com>
To: "'Maryann Arrien'" <marrien@computer.net>,
        Kurth Bemis
	 <kurth@turbonet.net>, Leo Rousseau <yoga@net1plus.com>,
        Lily Lou
	 <lilylou@mindspring.com>,
        Linda Marks <lmarks@milforded.org>, Michio Kaku <mkaku@aol.com>,
        Mike Kendall <theebigguy@worldnet.att.net>,
        Mike Stebbins <nhas@compuserve.com>,
        "'donna_leahy@nthp.org'"
	 <donna_leahy@nthp.org>,
        Paul Noah <pnoah@mrcnh.com>, Richard Berry
	 <rberry@wvi.com>,
        "Steven J. Dick" <dick@ariel.usno.navy.mil>,
        Ted Jerome <ted@hierongmus.com>, Thomas Williams <trw@rice.edu>,
        "'Eileen Myers'" <starleen@ma.ultranet.com>,
        "Lew Gramer (me)"
	 <dedalus@latrade.com>,
        "'Robert Black'"
	 <Bob-Black@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>,
        Internet Amateur Astronomers Catalog - Discussion
	 <netastrocatalog-announce@jovian.com>,
        NH Astronomical Society
	 <nhas@newww.com>,
        North Shore Amateur Astronomy Club <nsaac@jovian.com>,
        Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston <atmob-discuss@jovian.com>,
        "'Leif Robinson'" <lrobinson@skypub.com>,
        "'jmgibbons@bkb.com'"
	 <jmgibbons@bkb.com>,
        "'Herbert R Johnson'" <hjohnson@pluto.njcc.com>,
        "'Gilbert Violette'" <gilbert.j.violette@worldnet.att.net>,
        "'Barry Obut'"
	 <idic@bellatlantic.net>,
        "'Charles_Wiecha@lotus.com'"
	 <Charles_Wiecha@lotus.com>,
        "'FSchaaf@aol.com'" <FSchaaf@aol.com>,
        "'Lew Gramer'" <dedalus@latrade.com>,
        "'spinney@pwshift.com'"
	 <spinney@pwshift.com>,
        "'Leif Robinson'" <lrobinson@skypub.com>,
        "'Shull, Julian'" <Julian.Shull@otis.com>,
        "Scordato, Thomas"
	 <TSCORDA@alleghenypower.com>,
        "'Mark Jaworsky'" <mjaworsky@celgene.com>,
        "'Edwin L. Aguirre'" <eaguirre@skypub.com>
Subject: RE: Prison Vote has taken place, but all is not lost
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:26:19 -0400

Dear Maryann,

A few people laughed at me when I mentioned it before, but I am used to
being laughed at.

We land Jumbo jets I fowl weather with out seeing the runway via instruments
with hundreds of people on board.

We operate multi billion dollar naval submarines without portholes or
visually seeing were you are going.

Since it looks inevitable that this prison is going in why not try to
convince the Vermont State Department of Corrections to look at a "dark"
prison.

Now I know what you are going to say but think for a second.  The money you
could save via electric lighting, could well pay for an infra read, "star
visual system" and motion detectors which the guards on watch could use.  If
in the event of a breakout, they can always fire up their normal search
lights temporarily.

It seems you have nothing to loose but to try to get into proving such a
technology would be not only possible and successful but economically
viable.

I don't live in Vermont.  As far as I am concerned, someone from
Pennsylvania has little business meddling in the Green Mountain State's
affairs.  I do hate light pollution and know how it will effect the
observing and observing only.

Maybe, they get the prison, you retain light free (at least from the prison)
skies.

As far as I see it you have three choices,.

1.	Move to a darker spot.
2.	Stay where you are  and live with the additional pollution
3.	Get involved to eliminate or light from the prison.

I think this idea of a dark prison is not as far fetched as you may believe.
Be creative, get involved.  Act as allies to these government officials
instead of an advisory.  Prove to them that our military uses night vision,
why not prison guards.  From what I have seen, these prisons are very hi
tech.  Maybe stage a demonstration for the Vermont Department of
Corrections, Governor and public.

The time to act is no as the prison is in the planning stage.
.
What do you have to loose?

Tom Scordato
Bellefonte, PA