[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: VDBHA176 - Inst: 20" f5 dobsonian

Andrew's Observation of Van den Bergh Hagen (BH) 176 is the only
other observation I've seen of this globular. Here is mine from
my decidedly poorer northern hemisphere Texas location.  The globular
was just 10 degrees above the horizon when I observed it at culmination.

Barbara Wilson

Barbara Wilson's Globular Cluster Observations
NGC/IC:              OTHER: BH 176       OBJECT_TYPE: Globular
CONSTELLATION: Norma               SIZE: 6'
LISTED_MAGNITUDE:14.0
RA/DEC:15 39 07.3 -50 03'02"   DATE: 5-12-97  TIME: 12:00am
SITE:  TSP 97 Leakey, Texas
SEEING: 6     TRANSPARENCY: 6        TELESCOPE/INSTRUMENT: 20" f/4
EYEPIECE(S): 17 and 13             MAGNIFICATION(S):166
FILTER_TYPE: no
EYEPIECE_DRAWING: no         SOURCE:  Harris
V(TIP):                   V(HB): 19.0                CLASS:
DESCRIPTION_AND_NOTES: Seen at a very low altitude so this globular
cluster was difficult, using MegaStar chart and replotted location
from William Harris' database of Milky Way Globulars.
I saw 5 (13-14th magnitude) stars with a faint background glow about 4'
in size. This cluster appears visually more like an open cluster than a
globular in the eyepiece. The professional literature reinstated this
object as a probable globular cluster in 1995. (ortolani,
Bica, and Barbuy 1995, A&A 300, 726.) AKA: VDB-HA 176