[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: M57 outer halo (Ring Nebula) - Inst: 36" f/5 dob

via Lew Gramer schrieb:

> Observer: Steve Coe, Brian Skiff, Larry Mitchell
> Your skills: Advanced (many years)
> Date/time of observation: Late Spring
> Location of site: Texas Star Party (Lat 30o36'N, Elev 5200')
> Site classification: Rural(!)
> Sky darkness: 7+ <Limiting magnitude>
> Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
> Instrument: 36" f/5 dob
> Magnification: 325x
> Filter(s): NOT SPECIFIED
> Object(s): M57 outer halo (Ring Nebula)
> Category: Planetary nebula.
> Class: 4+3
> Constellation: Lyr
> Data: mag 9.7 14.8m*; size 86"x62" (halo 150")
> Position: 185335 +330144
> Jens, I was able to see the faint outer halo on the Ring
> Nebula at the Texas Star Party.  It was using a 36" f/5
> and a 14mm Meade Ultra Wide Angle eyepiece. There is a
> very faint glow on all sides of the bright donut shape.
> It extended about 30 arcsecs away from the Ring itself.
> Averted vision helped the view considerably.  It was
> bright enough that I was able to point it out to Brian
> Skiff and the scopes owner, Larry Mitchell.  BTW, the
> central star was easy and obvious in the big piece of
> glass.   Clear Skies, Steve Coe
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

WOW! I tried to see the whole Halo so many times with my 20incher. But I had no
success :-(
Last Friday I tried to see the Halo again but I could only see the diffuse
extensions at the edges of the ring. I used a 10,5mm Pentax and a Barlow lense
(432x without filter). The sky limit was 6,1mag in Lyra to the naked eye (the
bright summer nights in northern Europe).
BTW- an easy target for Halo watching is NGC 6543 in Draco (but donīt use a
Filter!).

Kind regards from Germany, Jens