[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) NGC253

Lew wrote:

> BTW, NGC 253 is a magnificent object - but quite tough from our
> latitude. I wouldn't discourage you from seeking it, but try to
> limit your expectations as to what binoculars (or even someone's
> 20" telescope ;>) will show of this Monster from northern skies.

Lew, here are two observations of NGC253, one dates from 1986
with a 13.1" old Coulter Odyssey, and the other with my 20" from
1989 on an incredible night of transparency.  The drawing I did
of this galaxy with the 20 inch took over an 1.5 hours, and my written
description
below does not even begin to describe the detail seen.   I
measured the galaxy at 30' in size through the eyepiece, much larger
than
most descriptions I've seen.  Admittedly not scientific since using
a Nagler eyepiece for the measurement.  But still the galaxy was huge.
It was also great in my 10 x 70 finder.  This galaxy is the finest
for small aperture telescopes from my latitude at 29.5 north, because
of the detail it exhibits.   So unlike M31 which is usually
disappointing
to new observers, and was to me when I first observed it in a 6"
newtonian
many years ago.
Barbara Wilson

Barbara Wilson's Herschel 400 Observations
NGC/IC: 253          OTHER: HERSCHEL           OBJECT_TYPE: GALAXY
CONSTELLATION: SCULPTOR       SIZE: 24.6' X 4.5LISTED_MAGNITUDE: 7
RA/DEC: 00H45.1 -2534DATE: 8-08-1986 TIME:          SITE: COLUMBUS,
TEXAS
SEEING: 5     TRANSPARENCY: 6        TELESCOPE/INSTRUMENT: 13.1" F/4.5
EYEPIECE(S): 9 MM NAGLER  MAGNIFICATION(S): 222             FILTER_TYPE:
EYEPIECE_DRAWING: YES     SOURCE:
DESCRIPTION_AND_NOTES: LARGE VERY BRIGHT LONG SLIGHTLY TILTED GALAXY
WHICH
FILLS ENTIRE FIELD MANY BRIGHT STARS SUPERIMPOSED, MOTTLED APPEARANCE,
Highly
BRIGHT SURFACE EDGE TO EDGE. FINE! WITH SOMEWHAT BRIGHTER MIDDLE, NO
SHARP
NUCLEUS.
 Barbara Wilson's Herschel 400 Observations
NGC/IC: 253          OTHER: HERSCHEL           OBJECT_TYPE: GALAXY
CONSTELLATION: SCULPTOR       SIZE: 25'        LISTED_MAGNITUDE: 7
RA/DEC:              DATE: 09-09-89  TIME: 2:00 AM  SITE: COLUMBUS,
TEXAS
SEEING: 8     TRANSPARENCY: 7        TELESCOPE/INSTRUMENT: 20" F/4
EYEPIECE(S): 13 Nagler    MAGNIFICATION(S): 166x            FILTER_TYPE:
no
EYEPIECE_DRAWING: Yes     SOURCE: Burnham's
DESCRIPTION_AND_NOTES: 6 stars superimposed (see drawing) mottled and
dusty
interior.  Bright center is mottled.  Not symmetrical. Much detail. Very
long
in this aperture, about 30' in length, it won't fit totally in my 13
nagler with a 30'
field. Used low and high power for drawing.  6' wide. Large and easy in
10 x
70 finder. nucleus elongated oval shape.  Close to edge on with  about
12 degree
tilt. 7.8 million light years distant.

Follow-Ups: References: