[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (IAAC) extragalactic globulars

Jeffery,

Typically, the high end star atlases will have a list of references which provide a good place to start when you are trying to identify sources of information that were used to compile the stars and non-stellar objects they represent. Another good place to look is the NASA Astropysics Data Center (http://adswww.harvard.edu/) which provides access to a large number of professional catalogues and publications.

Speaking specifically to information about extragalactic globular clusters, you might want to take a look at the following articles. The list is by no means complete as it only reflects those that I currently have in my files. You might also want to check the index volume (#37) of Deep Sky Magazine (out of publication since 1991) as it will list several articles about the subject as well.

Crampton, D., Cowley, A. P., Schade, D., & Chayer, P. (1985). “The M31 globular cluster system.” The Astrophysical Journal 288: 494-513.

Hodge, P. W. (1981). Atlas of the Andromeda Galaxy. Seattle, WA, University of Washington Press.

Hodge, P. W. (1983). “Corrections to the globular cluster identifications in the Atlas of the Andromeda Galaxy.” Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 95: 20.

Jakiel, R. (1988). Globular Clusters in M33. Retrieved 9.28.98 from the World Wide Web: http://www.anglefire.com/id/jsredshift/gcm33.htm: 3.

Jakiel, R. (1998). WLM and its Globular Clusters. Retrieved 9.28.98 from the World Wide Web: http://www.anglefire.com/id/jsredshift/wlm.htm.

Polakis, T. (1998). Extragalactic Globular Clusters. Retrieved 14 July, 1998, from the Newsgroup sci.astro.amateur. May be available through Deja News.

Shields, J. (1998). Extragalactic Globular Clusters. Retrieved 14 July, 1998, from the Newsgroup sci.astro.amateur. May be available through Deja News.

Shields, J. (1998). Globulars in the Fornax System. Retrieved 9.28.98 from the World Wide Web: http://www.anglefire.com/id/jsredshift/gcfor.htm.

Good luck with your hunt. After you track down the resources, you'll need big aperture or your CCD setup to chase down the majority of these puppies. But its worth the time in my estimate. By the way, if you are intent on chasing down the M31 globulars, I'd suggest you track down a copy of Hodge's "Atlas of the Andromeda Galaxy." It is indispensible for that purpose as it provides photographic detail not provided in anyother resource. If you go that route, you might also want a copy of his eratum:

Hodge, P. (1982). “Erratum: The dark nebulae of M31.” The Astronomical Journal 87(4): 1244.

Cheers!

Art Russell

Major, US Army (Ret)
Atlanta, Georgia

mailto:artrussell@mindspring.com
http://Education.gsu.edu/spehar/

What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" - what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknowable future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

- Robert A. Heinlein, from "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"