[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Supernova 1999el in NGC 6951 brightening!

Hi Lew,

I'm in the process of building a 40" f/10 Ritchey-Chretien, which will
be used very heavily for deepsky work. See attachment.

En route, in addition to the more serious scientific stuff, I thought
it would also be fun and interesting to gradually compile a "Visual
Challenge Object" list for a 40"!  Your recent thread on extragalactic
globulars in n2403 reminded me to ask you about it.

From your perspective, riding herd on this IAAC list, if you come
across suitable interesting candidates, would you drop me a line?
Faintness alone isn't enough to make it interesting, I think. It should
be something we have always wanted to see, or would be interested to
see, but have been unable to for lack of aperture. Jupiter V is one
solar system challenge object...

If YOU had a 40" R-C all to your self for a night, where would you go
(aside from the obvious showpiece objects?) What objects are NOT
showpieces even in a 20" (my current aperture), but would be in a 40"?

Clear skies,

Tom

=====
Thomas O'Hara, PhD