[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) [amastro] Re: limiting magnitude at WSP

The National Park Service is beginning a program of night sky brightness monitoring
with the objective of protecting dark sites in national parks.  One of the methods
we propose to use is limiting magnitude estimates by human observers.  We are
particularly interested in any information and/or previous research that has been
done on this method.  I personally find that I do indeed find a few more stars in
any given field if I know where to look for them.  However, I have never considered
this as "bias", merely a physiological peculiarity of the human brain/eye
interface.  If you know what and where to look for something you're chances of
finding it are much improved.  I don't think it means that you are actually
"imagining" that it is there.  Am I wrong?

Dan Duriscoe
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks