[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) [amastro] Re: limiting magnitude at WSP

I concur with you comments about seeing objects (images) after one's
attention is directed to the subject. A prime example is some star field
photos that I have been examining with a low power microscope. Many of the
deep sky objects were missed until reference was made to an atlas. They were
definitely there at first pass, because I can see them now that I know they
are there. There is nothing imaginary about the images on the photos. As you
mentioned about the way the optics are wired to the brain results in
misrecognition. The skill gained in repeated observation is another good
example of expectations overcoming the nonrecognition/misrecognition
phenomenion.  It is long established that there is a real difference in the
way we individually see or interpret vision. It's referred to as the personal
equation.

Dan Duriscoe wrote:
The National Park Service is beginning a program of night sky brightness
monitoring
 with the objective of protecting dark sites in national parks.  One of the
methods
 we propose to use is limiting magnitude estimates by human observers.  We are
 particularly interested in any information and/or previous research that has
been
 done on this method.  I personally find that I do indeed find a few more
stars in
 any given field if I know where to look for them.  However, I have never
considered
 this as "bias", merely a physiological peculiarity of the human brain/eye
 interface.  If you know what and where to look for something you're chances
of
 finding it are much improved.  I don't think it means that you are actually
 "imagining" that it is there.  Am I wrong?

 Dan Duriscoe
 Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks