[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) stars in ngc 604

Hi Mark !

Impressive observing report and a nice sketch!

you wrote:

>Jens reports that the
>brighter members are about mag. 16.  At the time
>of the observation I was very excited to be
>observing a nebula in another galaxy.  I didn't
>dream of ever being able to see an individual
>star in another galaxy.  When I first got started
>in astronomy about 10 or 12 years ago I remember
>reading that it was not possible to see
>individual stars in other galaxies, even with
>large scopes.  Now it appears that this may
>indeed be possible.  This is very exciting!

Yes indeed! But there are much more individual stars in other galaxies to
observe... Try AF Andromedae in M 31. This star is one of the rare LBV stars
(luminous blue variables). These stars have absolute magnitudes of  -7,5mag
to - 9,5mag. The brightest one can be found in the southern part of M 31 and
its apparent magnitude is 16,5mag. There was an observing report from Martin
Nitzl in interstellarum 10 who was able to see the star using a 13incher!

Just try to see individual stars in NGC 206, the giant starcloud (the
biggest in our local group). The brightest stars (LBV, too) are shining at
~17th magnitudes. 70 stars are known in NGC 206. It will be difficult to
resolve the stars from the background glow of unresolved stars. Alan Whitman
posted a positive result on Amastro. he managed to see this stars in his
16incher. I tried it several times with my 20incher but I hadn´t the perfect
night for higher magnifications.

Another challenge for _very big scope users_ is resolving stars in local
group galaxies. For example, last year I had the idea to resolve stars in
Leo 1 visually with my 20incher but I must recognize that my scope is a
little bit too small... The brightset stars are +18mag (except 2 stars
brighter than 18mag) I selected these references:

1994MNRAS.266....7D  DEMERS, S., IRW...
1991AJ....101.1299R  REID, N., MOULD...
1993AJ....106.1420L  LEE, M. G., FRE...

I believe there are much more stars in galaxies which can be resolved (M 33,
NGC 68222 and so on). Let me hear about your results.

Best regards, Jens

                       MAGELLAN
   das unabhängige Beobachterforum
    http://www.beobachterforum.de.