[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Chip butties (was Re: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 3242)

>With my 8" Newtonian there would be a hell of a lot of small greasy smudge's
>then!! Probably from eating to many chip butties!

If so, Kim, I strongly encourage you to use that as a descriptive phrase! :)
Of course, as "greasy smudge" is far from unique, it seems it wouldn't serve
as an appropriate Common Name for any ONE object... On the other hand, I get
heartily tired of having to recycle the words "fuzz", "haze", "smudge" and
similar terms for some of the fainter objects or details I observe. Having
recourse to a lovely phrasing such as "just NW of the mag 7 field star lies
a faint little chip-butty of light" might be just the thing... X-D

Clear skies and good laughs,
Lew Gramer