[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Re: [Planetary_Nebulae] Megastar or The Sky..and at the scope

Forwarded without permission of the author. This extremely informative
post on the wonderful "Planetary_Nebulae" list, is from a query sent in
by IAAC's own Dave Aucoin. Clear skies all,

Lew Gramer <owner-netastrocatalog@atmob.org>
http://www.visualdeepsky.org

>   Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:31:37 -0000
>   From: GMYERS2@carolina.rr.com
>Subject: Re: Megastar or The Sky..and at the scope

I am slightly (!) biased but....

after working with Emil for many months getting the support built in
for the interface to the Tnagent boxes (NGCMax and the like) I find
Megastar to be invaluable AT the scope! If you can hitch up one of
these boxes and have a laptop at the computer you will find a new
world of objects to look at. How many times have you looked at an
object - then gone home and pulled up a rich program (like Megastar)
and THEN saw what was only 0.5 degr to the right or just below the
object - "Damn... had I known THAT was there I could have taken the
time to look for it". Megastar has one GREAT advantage (actually
many) over the rest - it shows the DSO's in actual position, size,
AND shape! No one else comes close to this. You can cruuuissse around
the North American Nebulae or see the smaller clouds that exist IN
BETWEEN the 2 common segments of the Veil.... and on and on. Some of
the features I asked for and Emil added were a Zoom capability that
is selectable by the space bar (this is great when using a RF
wireless trackball that has assignable buttons), information that is
detailed and readily available AND viewable as you can set the font
size and type (I am 8' away on my ladder!). A local Sync capability
that increases the local accuracy manyfold. And on and on. Emil is
currently working on the next rev... in it he plans on adding support
for my just released Servo GOTO card set. With this I will be
smoooothly (and quietly) viewing the sky at high power as it should
be.

biased...me....no .... Megastar is THE ONE!

gary

www.RXDesignOnline.com

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: