[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: IC 1296 - Inst: 200mm Newt F5

"Steve Robinson (via Lew Gramer)" wrote:

> Kim Gowney wrote:
> >You are right there Steve, but it was worth a look and a mention because
> >of the S&T article, strange thing with photo's and galaxies, the galaxy
> >in this instance has a nucleus that appears about the same brightness as
> >a nearby star maybe a little fainter, so the tendancy is to think that
> >it may just be visible...
>
> Kim,
>
> That was a worthwhile attempt anyway.
>
> I can't seem to find the SB of IC 1296 myself, but it must be pretty
> dim.  On the image I described in my last e-mail, I had to do a good bit
> of image processing to keep M57 from burning out of the image, so the
> brightness of M57 is reduced.  The IC object should be about right with
> respect to the rest of the field.
>
> Don't know what to say about the S&T article.  I brushed past it I
> guess.  Strange things can be done with photos, but even in my photo,
> the nucleus looks about as bright as the nearby star, maybe a little
> dimmer, but remember, the nucleus, even in the image is an extended
> object.  The photons were collected over a 60 second period.  This is a
> feat no eyeball can do.
>
> Where I live, I would never even attempt to visually detect that
> one.  I have an 18" and I wouldn't.  Our skies are really streetlights
> on steroids.  For this reason, I use an 18" equatorial and a CCD camera
> with a good image processor to do whatever I can do.  I have a C8 which
> I really like, but it just doesn't have the grasp under these
> conditions.  I live right outside of Washington DC.
>
> I didn't do a comprehensive study on it, but I also have a 3.5 inch
> Questar.  I took it on a trip once and spent a weekend atop a mountain
> in California.  The skies were really dark there.  I think I saw about
> as much with the Questar as I can from home with the 18 visually.  Sad.
> Our grandkids won't even be able to understand the relevance of a
> planetarium when they grow up.  When they want night, they'll have to
> pull the curtains.
>
> Clear Dark Skies
>
> Steve Robinson

I haven't had any success logging this dim galaxy with a 20" classical
Cassegrain in south central Pennsylvania or a 25" Dob from the Mason-Dixon
Star Party near the Pennsylvania-Maryland border.  Light pollution rears its
ugly head once again!

Dave Mitsky

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: