To: deep_sky_observing@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [deep_sky_observing] The Menard 400, a New Best of the Deep-Sky List
From: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:50:10 -0000

I received the Summer 2001 edition (issue 30) of "Amateur Astronomy"
two days ago and have had the chance to read a good deal of it.
Deep-sky expert Vic Menard submitted his list of the 400 best
deep-sky objects, which he chose to simply call The List.  Publisher
Tom Clark decided to title the article (and the list) The Menard 400.

While I haven't gone through the entire list it seems like an
excellent sampling of both faint fuzzies and stellar notables.
Included are objects from the Messier, NGC, IC, Abell, and other
catalogs as well as binary and carbon stars.  There are 179 galaxies,
59 planetary nebulae, 37 open clusters, 29 globular clusters, 21
bright nebulae, 4 supernova remnants, 2 lensed quasars, and 75 stars.

Dave Mitsky

------- End of Forwarded Message

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: