[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Color filters on deep-sky (was Re: (IAAC) Obj: M42)

>The Red filter (orion #25 red) pretty much hid everything from view.
>It is a deep red filter and I am still not sure what I am supposed
>to use it on since it seems to be too dark to actually see anything
>once the filter is added.

This has also generally been my experience, Mark, when using the commonly
available color filters: These are generally designed for observing very
bright objects like planets, so they have considerably low transmittance.

However, I have seen and heard hint of some very interesting observations
done with higher transmittance (and much rarer, and more expensive) color
filters. Our own Yann Pothier (if I recall correctly?) has tried various
unusual filters on the Planetary Nebulae he observes.

And if memory serves (and I might be confused as to identity) one Brian
Skiff has even tried using high transmittance color filters to observe a
Low Surface Brightness galaxy or two! Does anyone have access to logs of
such interesting observations, they'd be willing to share with us?

Take care,
Lew Gramer

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: