[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) The interesting question of the Christmas Tree and the Cone

Lew,
	working from the original NGC Dreyer says "15 Monoc, CL,**, ? neb". He
gives no size and no indication of any other neb. The discoverers are down
as William and John Herschel and I doubt with their mirrors they could have
seen the cone itself. There is emission nebulosity surrounding 15 Mon so I
guess that is what they are talking about. Interestingly in the IC2
supplement there is an additional set of notes.

"Delete the ? An eL neb 3 deg+- in diam, the densest part is 12' sp the
star 15 Monoc. Barnar Astr and Astrophys, xiii p 178; MN lvi p 63 and lix p
364; Roberts ibid lv p 398"

As the cone is quite small it may not  have fitted Barnards catalogue. He
did not include other dark nebulosity that were already known either. I am
not sure who gave the Cone its name but that might help with who first
saw/photographed it. From the above references I would guess either Barnard
or Issac Roberts.