From: owner-netastrocatalog-announce@atmob.org
[mailto:owner-netastrocatalog-announce@atmob.org]On Behalf Of Don Clouse
Sent: 28 septembre, 2001 10:11
To: netastrocatalog-announce@atmob.org
Subject: Re: (IAAC) Re: Uranometria

>Since such quaint items such as printed atlas' are really relegated to
>cloudy night items, it seems to me the 3 volume set is the way to go. A
>quiet library room, a fire, java with baileys... seems right to me. :)

I agree, browsing an atlas is a nice way to spend some quiet time.  But,
they are quite useful at the telescope to, of course.  Printed material and
computer software both have their place, but for me, of a book works best in
the field.  It doesn't need a power source, other than illumination, and it
transports easily.  It's random access, keyed, analog, non-volatile data
storage - sorry, couldn't resist.  Maybe a PC works best for the home
observatory.  The software I'm familiar with (MegaStar) certainly allows for
quick, easy access - like, "Now what is that smudge that's not even on my
Sky Atlas 2000?"  I must admit, however, that I've never attempted to use a
PC in the field.  It seems to me that the amount of light emitted by the
screen - even in red-mode - would preclude full dark adaptation.  After all,
even an adjustable red light at its lowest setting is too bright if it has a
fresh battery and you are fully dark adapted.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences using
PC's/laptops in the field.

Clear skies,
Don

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: