[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) How Bright are the Galaxies - Really?

In a message dated 12/7/01 1:34:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kapeji@sniffout.com writes:

<< Chris replies,
 "All that I've done - needless to say! - is to use the Revised NGC catalog.
 What that catalog contains is completely beyond my control.

Well, Chris is correct about the CONTENT of any catalogue or database, but he
does control which to include in his program. Overall, the new Steinicke
catalog appears to be a step in the right direction - especially as to
locations and dimensions of the thousands of objects. The magnitude issue,
however, is another matter. I like the dimmer "B" magnitudes, as I find them
a better guide to back yard visibility. However, others may feel just as
strongly the other way - and with perfectly good reasons.

Doug Stewart
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: