[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) How Bright are the Galaxies - Really?

Well considering that the main function of the revised Catalogue was to eradicate the errors in the original especially with regard to the correct position of objects, it was an excellent inclusion into Skymap, afterall, it would be of little use knowing exactly how bright something was if you couldn't find it in the first place! I would imagine that seeing faint objects with the unaided eye is affected by many variables other than V mag anyway, not least the condition of any particular individuals eyes as a major factor, so to write off such sightings as a non event based soley on listed magnitudes is perhaps a bit hasty?!
----- Original Message -----
From: Albireo54@aol.com
To: netastrocatalog-announce@atmob.org
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: (IAAC) How Bright are the Galaxies - Really?

In a message dated 12/7/01 1:34:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kapeji@sniffout.com writes:

<< Chris replies,
 "All that I've done - needless to say! - is to use the Revised NGC catalog.
 What that catalog contains is completely beyond my control.

Well, Chris is correct about the CONTENT of any catalogue or database, but he
does control which to include in his program. Overall, the new Steinicke
catalog appears to be a step in the right direction - especially as to
locations and dimensions of the thousands of objects. The magnitude issue,
however, is another matter. I like the dimmer "B" magnitudes, as I find them
a better guide to back yard visibility. However, others may feel just as
strongly the other way - and with perfectly good reasons.

Doug Stewart
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: