[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: Kappa Ori - Inst: 10" F4.8 equatorial GP/DX

Hello Barry

Thank you for sharing your observation with this group of astronomers.
You stated:

>Of the 3 Stars to the east one seems to have a very faint star which
could be a companion star.>

According to my references ( Burnham's Celestial Handbook and the
Cambridge Star Atlas) Kappa Ori is not listed as a double. The faint
star you speak of must be one of those "Astronomical Tricks" that is
played on us at times making us think we are seeing something we really
aren't seeing:-)  Regardless if it is a double or not, I am sure it made
your observation of Kappa Ori more enjoyable.

> Kappa Ori is approx 722LY away>

Quoting from Burnham's, "This is another bright member of the Orion
Aggregation, though the estimated distance of  2100 light years places
it somewhat beyond many of the other members."  If you stop to think
about it, this makes the "very faint star" you speak of more special
because its distance must be much more further than Kappa Ori.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Thanks again for your report and Stars in your eyes,

Barry Martasian

http://community.webtv.net/Timetrav2/TIMETRAVELERS

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: