[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: Alpha Ori - Inst: 10" F4.8 Equatorial Mount GP/DX

Apha Ori is a multiple star system not just a binary. As has been pointed
out most of the components are very faint and/or close

Bellatrix/Gamma Ori is a double star designation Bup 78 with components 1.6
and 12.2 at sep 144"

Lambda is also a double.

At 16:41 03/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks again barry
>
>I was using Skymap pro which has put a line through the star Alpha
>Orionis, Which i thought meant that it was a double i am very possibly
>using the program wrong. If anyone could clear this up i would apprceciate
>it. i know that if there is just a circle with no colour then that
>indicates a variable, but with a horizontal line does this not indicate a
>double. If this is wrong then i appologise.
>and am only to pleased that i marked my experience down to less than one
>year. :-)
>
>Thanks again Barry and please correct me whenever it's the only way i will
>learn...
> > Hi Barry
> >
> > This is the other Barry again.  I am pretty new at this stuff also so I
> > could be wrong. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  It seems
> > as though you are trying to split stars that are not list as double and
> > may be confusing other stars that you are splitting.
> >
> > 1. Alpha Ori, aka Betelgeuse is not a double.
> >
> > 2. Gamma Ori, is Bellatrix is not a double but if you are identifing the
> > stars by the Greek Alphabet it would be easy to confuse the Gamma symbol
> > with the upside down Y looking thing that is Lambda which is a double.
> >
> > If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.
> >
> > Stars in your eyes,
> > Barry Martasian
> >
> > <a
> href="/bti/redirect.html?http://community.webtv.net/Timetrav2/TIMETRAVELERS"
> target="newLink">http://community.webtv.net/Timetrav2/TIMETRAVELERS</a>
> >
> > To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at:
> > <a
> href="/bti/redirect.html?http://www.visualdeepsky.org/subscribe.html"
> target="newLink">http://www.visualdeepsky.org/subscribe.html</a>
>
>To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
>http://www.visualdeepsky.org/subscribe.html

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:

Follow-Ups: References: