[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: M34 - Inst: Orion Optics 250MM F4.8 Vixen GP/DX

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone can help me, I took my telescope to a member of our local
astronomical society. Who just happens to be a Dr of physics works at our university. After repeated attempts at collimating my scope he could not get it right. so he stripped my scope removed primary and secondary mirrors. And found the offending item to be a nylon screw that holds with 2 others the side of the mirror to be lose.
he tightened it rebuilt the scope and collimated it no problems. because it is a new scope he suggested i phone the makers and make a little complaint. Whilst doing so the makers informed me that this was incorrect and that what the gentlemen did may cause an astigmatism in my mirror. And would have invalidated any warranty on my scope. Firstly thier was a lot of play in the mirror so much so that if you moved the scope you could feel the mirror move inside. The telescope makers claim that this would not have affected the collimation. However i said surly it must do because in effect if the mirror moves off center then the collimation is bound to be affected. He denied this rather vermently and told me that what we had done was wrong. The gentlemen that had helped me is a long standing astronomer who lectures cosmology clases and looks after all the obervatories as well as radio telescopes surly he must know. my telescope since the rebuild is performing far better than it ever did. Am i to worry i don't believe he tightened it solidily just enougth to stop it moving around. Any thoughts would be greatly appeciated.
Barry

> ----
>
> Observation Poster: Barry Sharpe <barry.sharpe@btinternet.com>
>
> Observer: Barry Sharpe
> Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
> Date/time of observation: 19th January 2002 19:30 UT
> Location of site: Welwyn Garden City  (Lat 51:47:24 , Elev 0:10:45 )
> Site classification: Suburban
> Sky darkness: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
> Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
> Moon presence: Minor - crescent or far from object
> Instrument: Orion Optics 250MM F4.8 Vixen GP/DX
> Magnification: 25mm
> Filter(s): None
> Object(s): M34
> Category: Open cluster.
> Class:
> Constellation: Per
> Data: mag   size
> Position: RA :  DEC :
> M34 found nice open cluster near zenith, spread out cluster in 25mm. Many are
> white stars suggesting young cluster stars fill FOV. One double in centre of FOV, 50 – 100 stars; quiet a few pairs of stars, nice pinpoints of light. Very
> nice open cluster. could not discern any particular pattern but view was constantly interupteb by cloud.
> --
> Optional related URLs:
> ** This observing log automatically submitted via the Web from:
> To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at:

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: