From: Alsing, Paul
To: 'netastrocatalog-announce@atmob.org'
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 12:54 AM
Subject: RE: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 2244 - Inst: 200mm Newtonian F5

Kim,

The Rosette Nebula itself is actually several NGC numbers (including NGC 2237,
2238, 2239 and 2246), and is a large EMISSION nebula located 3000-5000
light-years away. The stellar winds from the open cluster of stars known as NGC
2244 has cleared a hole in the nebula's center.

see http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n2244.html and
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000111.html and
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020317.html for more info.

\Paul