From: Apache User <apache@atmob.org>
To: Internet Amateur Astronomers Catalog <netastrocatalog@atmob.org>
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:36 AM
Subject: (IAAC) Obj: HICKSON 40 ARP321 PGC27509 - Inst: 40Cm(16")Dob

>----
>
>Observation Poster: Ron Knight <astroron@sun.big,net.au>
>
>Observer: Ron Knight
>Your skills: Advanced (many years)
>Date/time of observation: 16/03/02 12:30:UT 22:30 AEST
>Location of site: Cambroon Obs Nr Kenilworth QLD AUSTRALIA (Lat -26.38,
Elev 125M)
>Site classification: Rural
>Sky darkness: 8-10 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
>Seeing: 8-10 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
>Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
>Instrument: 40Cm(16")Dob
>Magnification: 60x 138x 276x
>Filter(s): none
>Object(s): HICKSON 40 ARP321 PGC27509
>Category: Cluster of galaxies.
>Class:
>Constellation: HYA
>Data: mag 14.1  size 1.4'X1.1'
>Position: RA 9:38.53  DEC -04:51
>HICKSON 40 This is my first Hickson galaxy group and the observation was
brought about by the article in the February 2002 edition of SKY&TELESCOPE
BY David Levy,titled Meet Larry,Moe,and Curly.I had in the last couple of
months aquired my 40cm telescope and this seemed an ideal target to try for
as it was close to my maridian at the time of reading the article(keeping in
mind we get Sky&Tel quite a bit later than our northern Hemisphere
observers.
>The group was easy to find as it is reasonably close to Alphard and a
prominant asterism.
>The group cosists of Five galaxies, the first H40a is a given mag of 12.8
and
>is seen as a small oval which brightens towards the middle but this was
only seen under very high mag.H40b and H40c where hard to glimps as seperate
objects
>and only at certain times with high mag and everted vision, the given mags
of these to objects 14.0 and 14.9 respectivly.
>H40d was just seen as a very small haze detached from H40a with a faint
star close by.
>H40eis very faint with a given magnitude was to faint and is only brobably
seen in very large scopes (60cm or more).
>I enjoyed the expereance of observing this group of galaxies and will be
looking for more of the Hickson group of galaxies in the near future.
>AS a postscript to this observation, the group was visible in my
20cm(8")SCT
>A faint fuzzy patch but was not seperated under any magnification
>--
>Optional related URLs:
>** This observing log automatically submitted via the Web from:
>  http://www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html
>To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at:
>http://www.visualdeepsky.org/subscribe.html

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: