[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (IAAC) Obj: M104 "Sombrero Galaxy" - Inst: Celestar 8" SCT, f ork mount

-----Original Message-----
From: apache@atmob.org [mailto:apache@atmob.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 6:12 PM
To: Internet Amateur Astronomers Catalog
Subject: (IAAC) Obj: M104 "Sombrero Galaxy" - Inst: Celestar 8" SCT,
fork mount
----

Observation Poster: William L. Schart <wschart@hot.rr.com>

Observer: William L. Schart
Object(s): M104 "Sombrero Galaxy"

William,

There is a cool asterism very near M104 that is quite unique.

Scan all around M104 until you find a little asterism that looks like a pistol.
It is basically 3 stars in a row with a 4th star bending down and forming the
"handle" of the gun. It is about 4 or 5 M104-diameters away, and is very easy to
see with a wide-field eyepiece. I have also heard it called "the shark".

This little pistol is aiming almost directly at M104. Now, using the short
handle of the gun as a direction pointer, go a field or 2 in that direction. You
will come to an almost perfect equilateral triangle of stars, and within this
triangle is another, smaller (almost perfect) equilateral triangle of stars,
offset in rotation from the outer triangle by about 30 degrees. Almost everyone
who sees this for the first time makes an exclamation of some sort, it is really
an unexpected treat.

I have heard this asterism referred to as "Stargate", but I'll bet it has many
other names.

Enjoy.

\Paul Alsing

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: