[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) RE: new pic NGC 7023 "The Iris" nebula

New Hampshire [US] Astro. Society member Steve Stefanik writes:
> http://www.mv.com/ipusers/astron/images/NGC7023.LRGB.optimized.jpg

Steve, that is a fine image! I wondered how you first decided
on the "Iris" as an imaging target? I noticed that it was one
of NASA's "Astronomy Pictures Of the Day" back in December!

By the way, a visual observer has used a 40" f/5 dob to garner
some of the same detail your image of NGC 7023 shows so well:

  http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg02521.html

(The observer, Mark Birkmann, also has an excellent sketch on-
 line from this observation. The sketch shows one feature - the
 area of nebulosity following the main body of the object, which
 his log does NOT mention, but which is prominent in the image:
  http://members.fortunecity.com/faintfuzzy/ngc7023.htm )

One curious question I had for both the imager and the observer,
though: if Steve's image has North at the top, and East to the
right, then the correspondence between the bright features seen
visually and through the CCD is good - but the dark lane feature
described so vividly by Mark Birkmann, and which is readily app-
arent on the image, would be on the wrong (North) end of center.

How about it, guys: Is Mark's feature actually NORTH of the cen-
tral star? Or does the image instead have South at the top?

Lew Gramer, Upstream Technologies
Offc: +1-617-266-7991 x107
Cell: +1-617-875-1174 or 6178751174@vtext.com

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: