[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: M1 Crab Nebula - Inst: 12.5" F-4.8 dobsonian

Paul:

M1 was a very difficult object for me too. I fianlly spotted it last
year in my C8, but under somewhat better conditions than yours (no
Moon). I use DSCs, so finding the position was problem, just seeing the
darn thing: it was the faintest of grey smudges, verified by jiggling
the scope - it moved along with the stars.

Congratulations on your find.

William Schart

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 12:47  AM, Apache User wrote:

> ----
>
> Observation Poster: Paul Money <paul_ohstbucks@msn.com>
>
> Observer: Paul Money
> Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
> Date/time of observation: November 18,2002/11pmCST
> Location of site: Kansas City,MO (Lat 38N, Elev )
> Site classification: Suburban
> Sky darkness: 2 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
> Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
> Moon presence: Major - gibbous or near object
> Instrument: 12.5"   F-4.8 dobsonian
> Magnification: 59x
> Filter(s): OIII
> Object(s): M1 Crab Nebula
> Category: Supernova remnant.
> Class:
> Constellation: Tau
> Data: mag 8.4  size 6x4 arc min
> Position: RA :  DEC :
> Ok, finding M1 has been my little pet peeve project as of late.  I
> know I should
> be able to observe it under even the worst conditions but havnt been
> able to
> locate it.  I have tried a couple times and come up empty. I refuse to
> wait
> for dark skies!! See my frustration? I know it is roughly 1 degree
> west and 1
> degree north of Zeta Tauri. Should be simple!?  Keep in mind that I am
> beginner and have dont have any past M1 observations to fall back on.
> Of
> course the moon is almost full and not too far away so I know it will
> be
> faint. What I failed to note was that the current position of Taurus
> shows
> the horns very low on the left and very high towards the Hyades. I
> wasnt tilting my map enough to show the correct position of M1!!!  M1
> is
> actually north and east(left) of Zeta Tauri in tonights sky.  To find
> it, I
> found a star roughly 1 degree east(left) of Zeta Tauri, and hopped to
> another star that  diagonaled roughly 1 degree NW and M1 was just a
> little beyond the 2nd star. What I found was a roughly 5 arc minute
> spot of
> grey matter that required the OIII.  I could make it out with direct
> vision
> but too faint for any detail.  This observation was all about the
> journey!!!
> If any of what I said made any sense, and somebody would like to
> verify this...
> please do.
>
> --
> Optional related URLs:
> ** This observing log automatically submitted via the Web from:
>   http://www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html
> To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at:
> http://www.visualdeepsky.org/subscribe.html

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:

Follow-Ups: References: