From:  "ariane1au" <andjames@o...>
Date:  Sun Jan 13, 2002  10:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Gamma Andromedae - Clarification

Hi Everyone,

I have a little problem (some say it's a big one!) regarding
resolving the binary star Gamma Andromedae / Alamak / STT 38BC
(02039+4220) which is has been placed in a good position for
observation in the last months (and years).

I am writing some text on this colourful pair and I cannot find any
recent observaions. I looked at this pair in good seeing in 1982 and
split the two stars - but have observed it since. From the latitude
of Sydney, Australia at -34 deg it appears close to the horizon.

I liked the colour contrast, but presently the separation has dropped
to 0.45" @ PA 105 deg. In my opinion it is a rival for Alberio (if
not better!) As the orbit is so eccentic we have good and bad times
to see it - now is a bad time in thee 63-years period.

Does anyone have recent (or their last) observations of this star?

Regards,
Andrew James

Hi All,

To clarify the last post, I am talking about the companion
resolution "BC" and NOT the main primary coloured pair STF 205A-
BC "AB" which is about 27.9" apart along PA 245, and as dead easy in
most telescopes.

This is a triple star.

Andrew

Hi All,

If you want to look at the eccentric orbit of STT 38 BC go to;

http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/orb6/GIF/wds02039+4220b.gif

The Non Frames Page of the US Naval "Sixth Catalog" is at;

http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/orb6/orb6orbits.html

If you want to look at the elements.

Andrew