Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:00:24 -0500
From: Will Stewart <v_stewart@earthlink.net>
To: netastrocatalog@atmob.org
Subject: Re: (IAAC) Obj: anonymous(?) galaxy 12h29m +42o12m - Inst: Newt 20" f/5

Lew,

Were you seeing ;

PGC0041093  MCG7-26-11
Class: Sd
Dimension:   0.7/ 0.5'
Blue Magnitude: 16.32
Surface Brightness: 14.87
Radial Velocity:    408

J2000 RA:  12h28m52.28s   DE:+42°10'40.8"
Date  RA:  12h29m01.74s   DE:+42°09'36.5"

Will Stewart
------------

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced): Intermediate
Date and UT of Observation: 1997-1-11/12, 07:00 UT
Location: Westford, MA, USA (42N)
Site classification (urban, suburban, rural): semirural
Limiting magnitude: 6.0 (ice haze)
Seeing: 2 - good
Moon up: no
Instrument: Newt Reflector 20" f/5 (dob)
Magnification: 70x, 210x, 360x
Filters used: None, Lumicon Premium DeepSky
Object: anonymous(?) galaxy 12h29m +42o12m
Category: Spiral galaxy
Constellation: CVn
Data: mag 12.5?  size 2'x1'?
RA/DE: 12h29m +42o12m
This object was barely perceptible to averted vision as an
elongated haze. Finding it under these conditions was simply
a challenge for the scope and observer. The object can be
located (if at all) with an easy sweep 1.5 degrees NW of the
pretty yellow-orange star Beta Cvn, passing midway the two
bright, lovely interacting galaxies ngc4485 and ngc4490. A
DeepSky filter was used, to no perceptible effect. At medium
power (210x), object position was alternately fixated on and
viewed with averted vision, until a slight movement of the
head brought the blur suddenly into view. [I'd be interested
in knowing more about this galaxy - does it have a UGC # or
at least an MCG designation? Is it related to 4485 and -90?]

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: