[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) What can you see in your telescope? (New IAAC search form)

On Yahoo Group GALAXYS-GALAXY_CLUSTERS, Mike Wirths said:

>Also Lew Gramer's netastrocatalog which is the best site
>of its kind on the net for observation archives:
>    http://www.visualdeepsky.org/

Wow, Mike, thanks for the plug! It really give me a push
to keep administering deepsky email lists and Web sites,
when I get the occasional compliment like this one. :)

BTW, I think the GALAXYS-GALAXY_CLUSTERS list is a great
new addition to the resources for amateur deep-skiers on
the Net! It has already given me some good ideas - both
on observing, and on how to improve my own deep-sky site.

For example, this thread, and David's question in parti-
cular, spurred me to create a new Search option for the
'netastrocatalog' archive, based on aperture size!

The IAAC observation catalog's "standard" Search page:
    http://www.visualdeepsky.org/search.html
allows you to search for observing logs based on a cat-
alog and identifier (or common name) for the object.

However, there is a NEW way to list observing logs based
on *aperture of the instrument* used in the observation:
    http://www.visualdeepsky.org/aperturesearch.html

(The next step will be to combine these two search forms
into a single master form... Whenever I get some time!)

Note that one reason I never did this before, is because
aperture is often NOT the most important determinant for
whether you can see a particular object or a particular
detail: I think the observer's experience level, and the
sky conditions partly as well, can be far more important
than the instrument! But if you're just starting out, it
can be a really stimulating challenge, to know that with
the right conditions and with enough "eye training", you
actually CAN see a given object in your instrument!

Please let me know what readers think about the new IAAC
search option, and keep the great posts coming on G-G_C!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <owner-netastrocatalog@atmob.org>