[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Stars with spectral type F and G in NGC 6231

Jorge:

Since you reference my observation, I looked up in my records and
indeed, one of my 2 recorded observations has some mention of yellow
stars.

Perceived colors of stars can be quite variable. In the double star
observing group I participate in (http:// www.s33.org ) we have had a
number of discussions regarding stellar colors, both in general as well
as in regard a particular pair. In addition to the obvious factor of
spectral type, perceived colors can be influenced by colors of other,
nearby stars, intervening gas and dust, atmospheric conditions, as well
as the visual acuity of the observer. There has also been some
speculation that cultural factors could influence who a particular
observer sees (and reports) colors.

 From my location, this cluster is rather low on the horizon and over a
rather light polluted section of sky. In particular, there are quite a
lot of sodium vapor lights on the freeway a couple of miles away as
well as business adjacent to the freeway. The light from these could
very well affect the perception of color.

William Schart