[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Re: [NHAS] Fwd: McNeil's Nebula with a 16-inch [New amateur discovery]

Roger Greenwood asks:
> Which part is the new nebula, Lew?
> Is it where the 2 lines intersect at the bottom?

Yep, Roger, it's the place marked by the two "tick marks", to
the lower right (southwest) of the image, about 10' below the
mass of dark nebulosity that abuts NGC 2064 in Fera's image.

Here's a nice photo of that region from the DSS, that closely
matches the finder charts below - and clearly shows that this
newly discovered object was NOT apparent during the Survey:

http://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss_search?v=poss2ukstu&r=05+46+46.70&d
=%2B00+00+50.0&e=J2000&h=30.0&w=30&f=gif&c=none&fov=NONE&v3=

And by the way, a quick Web search today revealed that this
object has now been reported visually in scopes as small as
10" - though that was in dark, Southwestern skies.

Clear skies, and happy hunting!
Lew

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: