(IAAC) Object: NGC884 (chi Per) - Instrument: Newt 12.5" f/4.8

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Intermediate
Date and UT of Observation: 1996-06-16, 03:30 UT
Location: Bath, ME, USA (44N)
Site classification: rural
Limiting magnitude: 7.0
Seeing: 3 - medium
Moon up: no
Instrument: Reflector 12.5" f/4.8
Magnification: 55x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC884
Category: Open Cluster
Constellation: Per
Data: mag 4.4  size 30'
RA/DE: 02h22m  +57o07m
open clusters, and the only ones which keep me coming
back to them year after year: The two are a stunning
single-field spectacle in a wide-field eyepiece or bi-
nocs, and the star fields which surround and suffuse
them make them really incomparable. chi Per is much
looser than its Westerly companion h, and doesn't in-
clude too many striking star patterns, but it does
have a nice clustering of stars north of its center.