(IAAC) Object: NGC869/884 (h & chi Per) - Instrument: Naked Eye

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Intermediate
Date and UT of Observation: 1996-09-11, 06:15 UT
Location: Sheepsfold, MA, USA (42N)
Site classification: suburban
Limiting magnitude: 6.3
Seeing: 2.5 - medium to good
Moon up: no
Instrument: Naked Eye
Magnification: 0x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC869/884
Category: Open Cluster Pair
Constellation: Per
Data: mag 4.3 and 4.4  size 30' and 30'
RA/DE: 02h19m to 02h22m  +57o09m to +57o07m
open clusters, and the only ones which keep me coming
back to them year after year: On this particular night,
a cold-air mass conspired to allow me to see them as
individual, lumpy patches of haze with the naked eye,
not completely seperated by a star-field "haze" between
them. They're a subtle but lovely little nuance to the
beautiful naked-eye star field formed by the adjoining
constellations Perseus and Cassiopeia. Note that with
direct (unaverted) vision, the two clusters were seen
as one elongated hazy patch, with little featuring.