Re: (IAAC) Obj: M67 - Inst: Newt 20" f/5

At 07:39 PM 1/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Observer: Lew Gramer
>Your skills (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced): Intermediate
>Date and UT of Observation: 1997-1-10/11, 04:00 UT
>Location: Topsfield, MA, USA (44N)
>Site classification (urban, suburban, rural): semirural
>Limiting magnitude: 5.9
>Seeing: 2 - good
>Moon up: no
>Instrument: Newt Reflector 20" f/5 (dob)
>Magnification: 70x, 210x, 360x
>Filters used: None
>Object: M67
>Category: Open cluster
>Constellation: Cnc
>Data: mag 6.9  size 30' catalog (20'x15' observed)
>RA/DE: 8h50m  +11o49m
>This reddened ancient among the bright open clusters is easily
>found by simply sweeping from Alpha Cnc with a wide-field epc.
>At 70x, some 120 stars could be counted in the midst of a still
>deeper unresolved haze. This stunning sight is offset by a bright
>(M ~= 7) pale orange star 10' NE of the apparent center of the
>cluster. Also striking is a dimmer clustering of maybe 30 stars,
>mags 8 to 13, about 10'(?) to the SW of the "main" cluster. The
>cluster as a whole, including outliers, is some 20' by 15' in
>apparent size, with a strong elongation to the NE and SW.

Hi Lew

I am interested in your reports about the Messier objects that you have been
observing and am wondering if you  are photographing them also.   I am now
editor for the South Bay Astonomical Society's magazine and am interested in
including selected  Messier and comet photographs taken by amateurs.

Best wishes

Ron