(IAAC) Obs: M1; Inst- 16" Dob

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate +
Date and UT of observation:  1/26/97
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 4.8 (est), also 4.8 in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):  3
Moon up (phase?): No, just below horizon
Instrument:  16" Dob, xlnt optics, enhanced coatings
Magnification: 170x,95x,202x
Filters used: none
Object:  M1, Crab nebula
Category:  Planetary
Constellation: Taurus
Object data:
RA/DE:
Oval in appearance with subtle blue-green coloration. Mottling noted at
higher power, with a sprinkling of approximately 1/2 dozen
background/foreground stars esp. towards the edges of the oval shape.
Nothing like the photos, but some mottling noted. In smaller scopes I have
not noticed the stars or the mottling. I estimated the magitude of the stars
at 13.5-15, and that was confirmed by The Sky (13.7-15.1) However, that
could be off as much as a full magnitude, as pointed out by observer Brian
Skiff. Best magnification for object contrast probably around 125X, in my
suburban, but fairly dark skies. Enjoyable viewing, but won't knock your
socks off.

Thanks! - Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade Advanced Product User Group: mapug@shore.net
Administrator, New England Weather Observer Mail List: wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather (Undernet)
Originator of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777