(IAAC) Object: NGC6207 Inst: 16" Dob

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate +
Date and UT of observation:  1/26/97 (1/26/97 1000GMT)
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 4.3 (estimated),  4.3 (est)  in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):  3
Moon up (phase?): Yes, 85% illuminated!
Instrument: f/4.59 16" Dob, f.l. 1839mm, xnlt optics, 96-99%
coating,3.1"secondary
Magnification: 175x, 97X
Filters used: none
Object:  NGC 6207, mag. approx. 11.7
Category:  Spiral Galaxy, edge on
Constellation: Hercules
Object data:
RA/DE:
Although the moon was on the other side of the sky, it was nearly full. The
importance of this observation, is that even with a limiting magnitude of
around 4, larger scopes, can take in a lot on non-extended objects.

This is the galaxy less than 1 degree from M13. I have viewed this galaxy
before, but never
defined it in a 10" scope (SCT)

In this scope, it was hard to see at all in low power with moonlit skies and
light pollution. However, after
noticing a nebulous object at 97x, 175X was enough to finally make out some
detail. The galaxy appeared as a fairly straight line, with a suddenly
brighter central region. Could not be sure exactly how "edge-on" this was,
direct, or oblique, but it was thin. Central bright area did pop out a
little bit from the center. Galaxy was much smaller than I expected, the NGC
list I was working off said, "large", but it appeared only a few arc minutes
long. In The Sky software, it is called an elongated galaxy 1x2 arc.
minutes. I am sure I was missing part of the view due to the moon, but
seeing a mag. 12 galaxy at all with a LM of 4 or so was gratifying, and I
wanted to post it here.

Thanks! - Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade Advanced Product User Group: mapug@shore.net
Administrator, New England Weather Observer Mail List: wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather (Undernet)
Originator of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777