(IAAC) Object: M53, Instrument: 16" Dob; LM: 5

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate +
Date and UT of observation: 2/7/97 0900 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 5 (estimated),  5 (est)  in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):  3
Moon up (phase?): No

Instrument: f/4.59 16" Dob, f.l. 1839mm, excellent optics,
96% QSP coating, 3.1" dialectric 99 % secondary

Magnifications:  175x, 97x
Filters used: none
Object:  M53
Constellation:
Object data: Globular Cluster
RA/DE:

with the new 16" scope lately, that I wanted to re-visit M53 which
I was not able to resolve well under moonlit skies. As expected,
I was able to bring out more individual members, but even in darker
skies, could not entirely crack the core. The view was far improved
though.

M53 is a relatively small, very condensed and compact globular.
I could resolve stars easily on the edges, and one particularly bright
star in the foreground of the center. Only 10-20 stars were completely
resolved, with chunky granularity otherwise noted. This is in contrast
to M3/M5/M13 which each show literally many dozens or even hundreds
of individual stars through the eyepiece.

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade Advanced Product User Group: mapug@shore.net
Administrator, New England Weather Observer Mail List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)
Originator of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777