(IAAC) Instrument: 16" Dob, Televue binoviewer Object: M10

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 6/6/97 0600 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.3 (estimated) 5.3(est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):  2>Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Dob, 96%, 99% coatings, Televue binoviewer (167x only)
Magnifications:  167x, 75x
Filters used: none
Object: M10
Constellation:
Object data: Globular Cluster
RA/DE:

A breaktaking sight. Really shows off how the binoviewer is meant for larger
apertures, as it splits the beam and therefore requires good light gathering
for best effect. This was a fully resolved (except central core) classic
looking, symettrical globular, very large. Outer fringes show widely spaced
individual stars, which extended beyond the FOV at 167x. Dense unresolvable
core with texture, similar to photographs, richest only with averted vision.
At 75x, using a single ep, M10 was also nearly fully resolved, despite high
levels of background light pollution at this low level of magnification.
Like other globulars of this caliper, I find that this combination is truly
one of the most awe inspiring views I have had to date.

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade Advanced Product User Group: mapug@shore.net
Administrator, New England Weather Observer Mail List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)
Originator of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777