(IAAC) Object: M45, Instrument: 16" Newtonian f/4.59

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/05/97 0755 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.3 (estimated) 4.9 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best):  4-5
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings f/4.59
Magnifications: 58x
Filters used: none and OIII
Object: M45
Constellation:
Object data:  Open cluster

The Pleiades was surprising at this aperture at this magnification. I expected
a total loss. Obviously, I was too magnified to take in the whole cluster,
and I did not expect the view to be as good as through smaller scopes.
However, there was a surprise. Firstly, I was not able to make out the
nebulosity surrounding M45. I may have to try a deep sky filter, or wait for
darker skies. The surprise was this.. at this aperture. filter-less, the sheer
luminosity of this cluster is overwhelming. Unlike M37 which I also viewed,
M45 has stars of varying magnitude, and is less dense. However, the
brightest stars are so bright at this aperture that it is almost shocking to
see so many extraordinarily bright stars in one field of view. Certainly
affected my dark adaptation!

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade User Group: mapug@shore.net & NE Weather Watcher Mail
List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)      //     Originator
of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777