(IAAC) CORRECTION: Object: NGC7335(not 7338) Inst: 16" Newt f/4.59

SEE NOTE BELOW

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/06/97 0520 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 4.9 (estimated) 4.9 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best):  4
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings f/4.59
Magnifications: 98x, 124x, 267x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC7335 (mag. 15)
Constellation: Pegasus
Object data: Galaxy near NGC7331

NOTE.. earlier observation of NGC7338 was incorrect, it was NGC7335

Lew Gramer suggested that I try to view the nearby galaxies
in the field surrounding NGC7331, when I posted an
observation in July 1997. I could have picked a better night
(some nights my l.m. goes to 5.4 or so) but nonetheless,
at least one of those galaxies was clearly
seen.

NGC7335 is just a few arc minutes to the east of NGC7331,
and somewhat similar in appearance. It was about 1/2 the length,
and also seemed edge-on, gradually brighter towards the center.
It was best viewed 150-250x. It was faint, and best held with
averted vision. I could make out it's position angle. I noted
that NGC7331 was elongated north-south, turns out that it is PA 170.
NGC7335 is about 30 degrees tipped to 7331, at PA 140 or thereabouts,
which gives it the appearance of making a triangle with 7331...the
two galaxies draw quite near on their northern sides.

In checking a photograph of the area after-the-fact, I noted
that NGC7335 was quite difference in appearance than NGC7331,
much more of a elliptical shaped galaxy, but was indeed tipped about
30 degrees from the PA of 7331. Also, compared to NGC7331, 7335 was
much smaller. A possible explanation for this is that I was not
seeing the outer extent of NGC7331, so my size comparison would
be off. In fact, I noted with averted vision, under darker
skies that 7331 indeed seemed to be much larger.. which
would explain the discrepency.

Only fleeting averted vision glimpses of other surrounding
galaxies nearby NGC7331 could be made out under these sky conditions.
No confirmations made, although they did appear to be
where the photograph later confirmed.
Thanks!   -Todd
Thanks!   -Todd

Todd Gross