(IAAC) Beta Lyrae

Observer: Jonathan Wojack
Your skills: Beginning
Date and UT of Observation:  1997 July 15, 0131-0157
Location: 75.33.00 W  39.45.00N  100M elevation (Wilmington, DE,
USA)
Site classification: city
Limiting magnitude: (zenith) +2.5
Seeing: 3 out of 10, 100% clear
Moon up, phase: Yes, approaching full, rising
Instrument: 15.24 cm Dobinson
Magnification: 47x
Filters used: None
Object: Beta Lyrae
Category: Double Stars
Constellation: Lyrae
Data: Primary-magnitude +3.5, 46.6" seperation.  Primary secondary-
magnitude +7.  Only other observed companion-magnitude +9, 85.7"
seperation.
RA/DEC:  18 hours, 48.2 minutes.  33 degrees and 18 minutes north
(Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Volume Two) .
extremely beautiful in the eyepiece!  Actually, this is a star system
that has 5 members, but I didn't spot the last two companions, which
had magnitudes of +9 and +13.  But these two stars were just optical
illusions--they do not exist in the Beta Lyrae system.  Beta Lyrae is
also a variable, and each cycle is about 12 days long.  At the time
of the observation, it was +3.3, which is the maximum magnitude.
When it goes into minimum, I believe it will be at +4.1.  The
interesting star system is believed to have a black hole.  Analysis
indicates that the primary secondary is sucking up stuff from Beta
Lyrae.  If it is due to the companion, then some day it will turn
into a red supergiant, outshining Beta.  If it is because of a black
hole, well, then probably the entire true system will be gobbled up(a
guess).