(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC925 INST: 16" Newtonian f/4.59

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/30/97 0800 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.3 (estimated) 5.2 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): est.  4
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings
Magnifications: 62x,98x,124x, 170x (binoviewer)
Filters used: none
Object: NGC925
Constellation: Tri
Object data:  Galaxy, listed as magnitude 10.1 RA 02:27, DEC 33:35n

Here's an interesting galaxy, it appears like a galaxy WITHIN a galaxy!
First noticed (at 62x) it's broad, freeform, elliptical glow about
10 arc minutes long with a slightly brighter center oriented
approximately W-E (both the broader nebula and inside glow
both were elongated W-E)

Bringing up the magnification all the way to 99-124 and finally 170, I saw the
same thing: Elliptical glow which looked like a typical, hard-to-see low surface
area galaxy (hard to see in suburban skies) with an embedded glow that
seemed to resemble a galaxy on it's own with a slightly brighter central core.
I assumed this was a bar of some sort, and indeed found that is how it is
listed. There also was a strong hint of a dark lane on the south side running
along this central bar. The bar was much smaller than the overall "glow" but
ran a good 5-6  arc minutes in length. Perhaps 6'x3'. Overall size is listed as
11'x6', I checked that after-the-observation. (I like to go into these
things knowing
nothing)

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade User Group: mapug@shore.net & NE Weather Watcher Mail
List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)      //     Originator
of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777