(IAAC) NGC 7789 in Cassiopeia using 13", AZ

Observer:Steve Coe
Your skills: Expert
Date and UT of Observation: 28 Nov 97
Location: 100 miles SW of Phoenix, AZ
Site classification: rural desert
Limiting magnitude: 6.7
Seeing: 7/10 very good
Moon up: no
Instrument: 13" f/5.6 on Bigfoot German EQ. with 11X80 finder
Magnification: 60X, 100X, 150X, 220X
Filters used: none
Object: NGC 7789
Category: OC
Constellation: CAS
Data: 6.7 mag  16'
RA/DE: 23 57.0  +56 44
This magnificent object is obviously a cluster, even in the 11X80
finder.
Only 2 stars are resolved but the cluster is bright, large and brighter
in
the middle.  With the 13" at 60X it is rich and much compressed, I can
resolve 32 stars even at the lowest power and there are 2 dark lanes
winding through the cluster.  100X with a 22mm Panoptic is a great view,
I counted 76 stars of mags 10 and fainter.  The cluster is about one
third of the field of view.  There are lots of curved chains of stars
within the cluster.  Going to 150X with the 14mm Meade UWA provides what
I considered to be the best view, the cluster is about half the field
and so many stars are resolved that I counted 63 in the NE quadrant
alone,
so I estimate over 250 member stars at this power.  There are many dark
lanes now seen within this compressed cluster and the lovely winding
chains of stars are very prominent.  At this power and at 220X there
are 9 faint, delicate binary stars that are seen within the cluster.
All the stars are white or very light yellow, little color seen; but
wow, what a field full of stars.  A long-time favorite.