(IAAC) Obj: M33 - Inst: 8" f/10 SCT, 80mm f/10 Mak

[Another try to make sure Adam is credited! Da*n mailers! -Lew]

Observer: Adam Albino
Your skill: Intermediate
Date and UT: LMT: 97/12/18 08:45pm (UTC: 1997/12/19 00:45)
Location & latitude: Norwell, MA - 25 miles South of Boston, Ma.
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude: 6
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 6-7
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear
Instrument: Celestron Ultima 8" PEC SCT / 80mm f-10 MAK Guide scope
Magnifications: 39X thru 250X
Filters used: none & Lumicon UHC
Object: M-33
Type: Galaxy (Pinwheel) Mag. - 5.7
Constellation: Triangulum
RA/DE: 01:33.9 / +30.40
I had not viewed this object in several years - I guess one forgets the
Messiers in search of more obscure objects. Easily located by sighting
up my tube using a  2" 32mm erfle. Similar results in the 80mm guide
scope with a TV 32mm. Only became apparent in the 50mm finder after it
was already located with main tube - but it was noticeable. Showed as a
large evenly diffuse object filling nearly a third of my FOV with the
32mm. Quite spectacular with this eyepiece. It's listed as 5.7 mag., but
I found its apparent mag to be much less. I can see why this object
gives many people such a hard time. If it wasn't so easy to star-hop
too, it could give M-74 a run as the hardest Messier. The object was
nearly round with some slight fading to the south west (caused by
slightly tilted plane? ). No structure was seen. The 80mm showed the
same view but was less able to see this fading effect. At 69x I started
to notice at least two bright areas slightly off center almost stellar
in appearance. They became quite pronounced at 125 thru 250X.  I assume
these would be the emission nebulas NGC-595, NGC-592, and /or NGC-588.
Added UHC filter with little apparent effect.  They were not visible
with the 80mm at any power. Overall very pleasant to observe because of
the multiple NGC objects.