(IAAC) M60 20" Dobsonian

Observer:N.J.Martin
Your skill:intermediate
Date and UT of observation:Jan 7 1998 06.15 UT
Location & latitude:near Ayr South West Scotland lat 55 24'56"
Site classification:bright rural
Limiting magnitude (visual):6 (zenith)
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):3
Moon up (phase?):no
Instrument:20" f4.4 Dobsonian
Magnification:X150, x240
Filters used:None
Object:M60
Category:Elliptical Galaxy
Constellation:Virgo
Object data:mag 8.8 size 3.4'
RA/DE: RA 12 44 Dec 11.6
confused by my thinking I was looking at M59 so demonstrating the perils of
relying on a computer to guide one to the object.
The galaxy M60 had a stellar nucleus and bright central core. It appeared
somewhat assymetrical extending 1/5-1/6 eyepiece fields (15 mm Plossl) north
and 1//4-1/5 south. The galaxy appeared to extend up to the visible edge of
its compasnion.
With a 9 mm eyepiece more structure was visible as a brighter almost bar
like structure heading SW from nucleus and turning east at the end and
another running NW from nucleus.
The companion galaxy appeared quite featureless.
Nearby there was a very nice small lenticular galaxy with a bright central core.
An excellent object in a wonderful region of the sky.
|   nmartin@bonnyton.u-net.com    |
|"There are more things in heaven and earth ... than are dreamt of in your
philosophy"   (Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5)  |

Bonnyton House, Ayrshire,Scotland, UK. lat 55 24'56" N long 4 26' 00" W
Altitude 150 m.